Wednesday 2 June 2010

My little bit of heaven



This beach has been my friend for a long time. It is part of who I am. It is the one thing that I am going to miss when I move away because I can’t take it with me. Unlike my friends I can’t phone it up for a chat, meet it for a drink, or talk to it online.

I spend a lot of time here, come rain or shine I like to pad along the shore, listening to the waves beating against the wall, and watching the people who share this precious place.

Its home to the little yacht club and the adventurous souls who drag their boats into the cold water. Its home to the waggly tailed dogs and the children who build castles on the sands. The grannies who sit on the benches eating their 99’s and reminiscing about the past. Home to the flat with the balcony that I want when I’m old, and home to the big stone seals in the play park at the end.

I’ve shared it with giggling nieces and nephews as we raced to be first on the swings, with friends who needed a shoulder to cry on and with boyfriends who were playing the old romance card.

I’ve shared both heart breaking and happy times with this beach. It's helped me grieve for those I've lost and I've found a lot of answers here. Sometimes I don’t think at all, I just walk and breathe the air and listen to the sea. On a clear day you can see the sleeping soldier that is Arran or look down the coast to Troon or Turnberry.

It’s beautiful and it keeps me calm when life is a bit mad. It’s peaceful and it’s precious and I love it.

I’m moving to the Big City. I’m leaving the seaside for Glasgow after all these years. This move is a change of my own making, a change that I want and a change that means no more commuting, a better social life and better opportunities for work. I have a whole list of things I want to do and in my head my bags are already packed, I’m in the removal van and I’m half way up the motorway.

My flat has been painted an anonymous shade of magnolia, its personality removed so viewers can imagine living here. I stopped "living" here when I ran my business from my kitchen and my home became my office. I can't wait to have a home again, a real proper home to fill with my friends and laughter and happiness.

I am more than ready to move on, but I am so going to miss the beach and can’t help feeling a little sentimental at leaving it behind.

It's not the best photo, and I prefer it when the tide is in but I thought I'd share my little bit of heaven. You should try it out sometime, breathe deeply, walk slowly and you might just be touched by it's magic.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely post and good luck to you with the new life! I look forward to reading about your successful new career!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! A really nice way to look at things!

    Good luck with your move - and you can officially be a tourist when you head back down to the Seaside on the sunny days! Bags of chips and 99ers guilt free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A memorable, heart-warming and sincere post, a pleasure to read.
    Thanks for sharing it and hope life in Glasgow creates equally good feelings.

    Speak soon,
    Mike x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw Annie, I've got a wee tear in my eye as that is sooooo true. The beach is always there for you to help calm the mind, soothe the soul and doesn't mind a wee sob or smile along the way.
    That flat of yours will be filled with fun-filled shenanigans in next to no time.
    And you can have a bit of my beach anytime.
    Love Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4/6/10

    I love running and walking on the beach in Aberdeen. I especially love seeing dogs having fun!

    I like it when you stand too close to the water and the waves almost catch you.

    And I like trying to skim stones although it's a lot easier on a loch...

    Working from home isn't always easy. My cat simply did not understand my work / life balance.

    The move will be really good for you and you can always go back and visit the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Annie never lived by the sea but you brought it vividly to life.I think we all need our wee bit of heaven to soothe away the stresses and strains of the daily life, maybe we should make a conscious effort to incorporate our wee bit of heaven into our lives as much as possible. Nature has a tremendous ability to shrink our problems down to size and to give us access to our innate creative potential.

    We are so blessed to live in Scotland, a place teeming with little bits of heaven, I have loads to many to mention...at the moment it would be Lochan an Ghleanain in the stunning Loch Ard Forest at Aberfoyle.

    When you are in Glasgow a walk along the river kelvin will, I am sure, give you a little bit of heaven just when you need it.

    Good luck with the move, keep on keeping on

    amituofox:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the post has me pining for two things I hadn't realised until reading it - well I did but didn't own them properly!

    The first is to get back to live by the sea and beach - I was brought up on Arran!

    And the second is to have a home to come home to. I hadn't put 2+2 together to make 4 when it comes to working from home!! Duh or what!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous18/6/10

    Annie,

    I really enjoyed your blog, a great narrative style and some truly inspiring words. I look forward to reading more as and when you post.

    Regards

    Ian Kennedy

    ReplyDelete